Pietro Longhi, The Music Lesson / Walters Art Museum
Le nuove musiche di Giulio Caccini detto Romano (Firenze, 1602) :
Antonio Vivaldi, Concerto for Viola d’amore and Lute in D Minor, RV 540 (1740), performed by Il Giardino Armonico:
Anthology 15 and Example 9.5
Figures 9.1 and 9.2
Additional Digital Resources
- Interactive presentation of a later, 18th-century view (by Giuseppe Vasi), of the Collegio Germanico, where Giacomo Carissimi and others trained Catholic choirboys, such as Giovanni Felice Sances.
- For a website devoted to the music of Cozzolani, see the Cozzolani Project.
- Read a novel about the fascinating life of Artemisia Gentileschi by Susan Vreeland!
- For more on partimenti, see the site by Robert Gjerdingen: Partimenti: Tools in Developing Musical Memory.
- John Blow, An Ode on the Death of Mr. Henry Purcell (1696) for two countertenors, two recorders and basso continuo. Text by John Dryden. Performed by the Yorkshire Baroque Soloists, conducted by Peter Seymour; Robin Blaze (countertenor) and Jason Darnell (tenor) – audio with original edition of score:
- For an example of music by Chiara Margarita Cozzolani, here is Gloria in altissimis Deo from Op. 3 (1650), performed by the Cappella Artemisia, conducted by Candace Smith:
Baade, Colleen. “‘Hired’ Nun Musicians in Early Modern Castille.” In Musical Voices of Early Modern Women: Many-Headed Melodies, ed. Thomasin La May. Women and Gender in the Early Modern World. Aldershot, Hants, and Burlington VT: Ashgate, 2005. http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/54974608
Baldauf-Berdes, Jane L. Women Musicians of Venice: Musical Foundations, 1525–1855. Oxford Monographs on Music. Oxford: Clarendon Press; New York: Oxford University Press, 1993. http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/832535119
Butt, John. Music Education and the Art of Performance in the German Baroque. Cambridge Musical Texts and Monographs. Cambridge and New York: Cambridge University Press, 1994. http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/28026843
Freitas, Roger, Portrait of a Castrato: Politics, Patronage, and Music in the Life of Atto Melani. New Perspectives in Music History and Criticism. Cambridge and New York: Cambridge University Press, 2009. http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/268793382
Heartz, Daniel. Music in European Capitals: The Galant Style, 1720–1780. New York: Norton, 2003. http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/50693068
Kendrick, Robert L. Celestial Sirens: Nuns and Their Music in Early Modern Milan. Oxford Monographs on Music. Oxford and New York: Oxford University Press, 1996. http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/33334385
Monson, Craig. Divas in the Convent: Nuns, Music, and Defiance in Seventeenth-Century Italy. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2012. http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/752471713
Monson, Craig. Nuns Behaving Badly: Tales of Magic, Art, and Arson in the Convents of Italy. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2010. http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/587209538
Montford, Kimberlyn. “Holy Restraint: Religious Reform and Nuns’ Music in Early Modern Rome.” Sixteenth Century Journal 37, no. 4 (Winter 2006): 1007–26. http://www.jstor.org/stable/20478126
Mould, Alan. The English Chorister: A History. London and New York: Hambledon Continuum, 2007. http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/71165225
O’Regan, Noel. “Choirboys in Early Modern Rome.” In Young Choristers, 650–17o0, ed. Susan Boynton and Eric Rice. Studies in Medieval and Renaissance Music 7. Woodbridge, Suffolk, and Rochester, NY: Boydell, 2008. http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/213307987
Reardon, Colleen. “Cantando tutte insieme: Training Girl Singers in Early Modern Sienese Convents.” In Young Choristers, 650–1700, ed. Susan Boynton and Eric Rice. Studies in Medieval and Renaissance Music 7. Woodbridge, Suffolk, and Rochester, NY: Boydell, 2008. http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/213307987
Rice, Louise. “Jesuit Thesis Prints and the Festive Academic Defence at the Collegio Romano.” In The Jesuits: Culture, Science, and the Arts, 1540–1773, ed. John W. O’Malley, S.J., et al. Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 2000. http://www.jstor.org/stable/10.3138/9781442681569 http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/40813738
Rosand, Ellen. “Vivaldi’s Stage.” Journal of Musicology 18, no. 1 (Winter 2001): 8–30. http://www.jstor.org/stable/10.1525/jm.2001.18.1.8
Rose, Stephen. The Musician in Literature in the Age of Bach. Cambridge and New York: Cambridge University Press, 2011. http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/664258870
Talbot, Michael. “Sacred Music at the Ospedale della Pietà in Venice in the Time of Handel.” Handel Jahrbuch 24 (2000): 125–56. http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/844893210